Monday, May 28, 2007

The Weekend...

It was a good one. Beautiful weather and lots to do. Some of that “lots to do” didn’t get done, but that’s okay. We’ve got the whole summer to do yard work.

On Friday, as I posted about previously, we went to the local rip-off – I mean – carnival. The kids did have a bit of fun. Ds and I went on this lame – I mean – scary haunted house ride. Both kids went in to the dumpy shack – I mean – House of Mirrors. The biggest highlight to them was the bags of cotton candy. That night they stayed at my parent’s place for a sleep over. They used the new cots! And even stayed in them the whole night unlike previous times (on air mattresses) when they’d wake up at 2 am and practically manoeuvre my mom out of her own bed.

Ds in the haunted house ride waiting for the scary thing that didn't come.
You can see the hole in the mirror right by Ds's head. Nice maintenance carnival people.

On Saturday I joined them in town to watch the parade. I think it was a good one this year. My friend, L, is on the Carnival committee and it’s her job to organize the parade. Great job, L!! In past years there’d be more cars with politicians in them than floats. Not the case this year.

The kids liked this float.

After the parade, we had lunch with my parents then came home. That’s when the yard work began. Only I didn’t get as much accomplished as I would have liked because SOMEBODY (Adrian) didn’t put the lawnmower thingy on the lawn tractor. And before you say anything about being a strong independent woman, the lawnmower thingy is too heavy for me to lift and drag over to the tractor. And by the way, I married a man for a reason. So he could lift heavy things. ;) Annnyway, because the lawn tractor wasn’t ready, and because the grass is getting so long I feel like we’re living in a jungle, AND because mosquitoes love long grass, I decided to mow the grass using our walk behind push mower. I got a lot done, too. We’re on acreage so I didn’t get everything done, but I mowed all around the house and where the kids play.

After supper, I was busy flaking out on the couch, when the phone rang. It was Sirdar’s wife inviting us over for a sit around the fire pit. I was considering declining because I was so comfortable reclining (ha!) but Ds started jumping around the room at the prospect of going over to their house. So, we decided to go. I’m glad we did, too. It was lovely to get out and visit. We rode our bikes over which was fun. We got there a little after 8 Pm and didn’t leave until…2 AM!!! That was me and the kids. Adrian stayed until after 4 AM!! A classic example of out-staying your welcome! And Adrian kindly drank through most of Sirdar’s whisky. Aren’t we wonderful guests? The kids had an absolute blast, though. Sirdar – your kids are awesome. They entertain my kids so beautifully and generously. Thank you.

Okay, So. We had a slowwwww Sunday morning. I think Adrian was actually still drunk from that night – I mean – morning. We got up, had breakfast, and played a bit of Junior Monopoly with the kids, then my friend, M, and her children showed up around 11:30 am. We had planned to go to Picnic in the Park in my home town. That was a fun time. Again the weather worked out and we all had a nice time. There was a huge bouncy jumper thing that the kids loved.

The bouncy jumpy thing.

There was an nine year old girl painting faces at the park. Apparently, this is supposed to be a cat face.

That was our weekend. It’s nice to have a busy once in awhile.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like a fun weekend...Adrian and Sirdar might of had a little too much fun... ;)

Steffi said...

What for a nice and beautiful weekend!I wish I was there too!I think you all had a lot of fun!

Portrait of Peter said...

What an amazing weekend you all have had including the outdoor firepit evening.

Looks like Sirdar and your hubby - had a lot to talk about that evening - talking means thirst - means drinking!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

my4kids said...

Sounds like a busy, great weekend! You sure did get alot into a couple of days! I agree we did marry men for reasons such as lifting very heavy things sometimes, no matter how independant we are! We are getting ready here in a couple of weeks for our Rose Festival we have 3 parades a childrens, a starlight (at night, my favorite) and the Grand floral Parade they all have floats made from flowers and flower parts it's a huge thing around here. There is also a huge carnival thing that runs for about a week and a half and fireworks to get the whole thing started.

Anonymous said...

Glad you gave the descriptions of D-Days. Looks like we didn't miss much...but we probably would have enjoyed the parade.

I am glad you changed your mind and came over. And I think Adrian was still drunk when he got up Sunday morning. He had to be!! :-) It was a great evening. Have to do it again for sure.