Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dandelions




A field of dandelions. Literally. There is so many this year. Not just in my own back yard, but I see them in all of the ditches as I drive our country roads. When I look at the dandelions I feel annoyance. I just mowed and yet here they are. An eye sore. A thorn in my side. Should I spray them? How do I get rid of these pesky weeds?

To my daughter, they are flowers to be marvelled. She loves their bright yellow petals. Please, don’t mow them, mommy. They’re so pretty, she says.

I think of Carla’s recent post on memories from her childhood. This is my version regarding dandelions:

When I was a child, I loved picking dandelions and giving them to my mother. It thrilled me when she put them in a glass of water and displayed them on the windowsill next to her roses. To me, they were just as precious and beautiful.

6 comments:

my4kids said...

I still like dandelions. Probably has to do with the fact my kids bring them to me. I'd prefer they were not in my yard but I don't mind them in a grassy field I think they are pretty and a nice flash of color!
I guess I'm just still a kid inside.

Anonymous said...

Yes there are a lot around here. I guess it is just time to enjoy their colour and brightness they bring to the lawn :-)

Steffi said...

Your pictures remember me to my childhood!I enjoyed to walk and play on this fields.Thank you Debbie for take this pictures!It´s much better to live outside from a big city like Hamburg !I wish I can live on another place.

Portrait of Peter said...

Dandelions always conjure up an image of summer with their brightness and covering - hence I have to agree - please delay cutting them - for they are our summer!!

ps: You could help your daughter in picking them and placing all in vases around the home.

Emma in Canada said...

I always used to pick dandelions too. And as a dare we used to drink the milk from the stem. Well, drink's not the right word..more like lick.

Saoirse loves dandelions, and I often have a cup of them on the kitchen table.

Portrait of Peter said...

Message to Ds & Dd

Will we ever see your Mom - put down on paper - her poetic dreams - as in her wonderful writings??

Perhaps you can help her - by writing a little poem of 'Dandelions' - just to help your Mom!!