Sunday, November 26, 2006

Lost in Town

Ds had a birthday party to go to in town today, and as soon as I drove away from the house this afternoon, everything just fell to pot.

The party is at a scrapbook/ceramic store that is a 30 min drive away. The mom didn’t give me the address so I just looked it up in the phone book. I leave just in time, but I'm about ten minutes from home when I notice that I've forgotten my purse. I have to go back for it because I need to pick up toilet paper since we were right out. I turn around, get the purse and head out again. Now we're going to be 15 minutes late, and the roads aren’t such that you can rush.

The party is at 2:00 pm. At 1:55 pm I think I’d better call the store to let them know that I'm going to be at least another 10 minutes. The lady at the store informs me that the party is actually at 2:30 pm. Well, I feel relieved. I relax, realizing that we are going to end up being early.
I not familiar with the town, but I have my trusty map. I arrive at the address, but I can’t see the store. I drive in circles for a little while before I decide to call the store again. I can hear that they’re busy in the background, and the lady quickly informs me that they moved two years ago (damn that 2 yr old phone book!) and that I’m on the wrong side of town! They are by the Boston Pizza. I have about 10 minutes to get there at this point. So, I drive on. I go in what I think is the right direction (you should know, at this point, that I’m very directionally challenged – I could get lost in a parking lot) and sure enough see the Boston Pizza. She mentioned another restaurant, too. It started with an ‘S’. Ah yes, there’s Sorentino’s. Now, where is that blasted Scrapper store? I’m by the Boston Pizza – where the f#$% is it!!!! I drive around in circles AGAIN for awhile before I decide to phone them back. I get a different lady this time. Oh not THAT Boston Pizza. The other one on this side of town. Ahhhhhh!!!!!! What road is it by? She tells me. Off I go again. It’s now 2:35 pm. I’m pretty frustrated but confident now that I’ll find the place. Remembering Loretta Laroche’s advice I put on my best bad English accent for the kids. While I was at a red light, it occurs to me to check my trusty map for the road she mentioned just to make sure I’m on the right track. The light turns green and I become focused on finding this road the lady mentioned. Wait a minute. Are we heading out of town? What the hell is going on!!! Crap! Did I missing the freaking Boston Pizza again!? I turn around and head BACK into town. That stupid English accent is out the window at this point…who thought up that idiotic idea anyway? It is now 2:48pm. Finally, there it is. Harps and a choir with a big bright light shining on the store would have been appropriate at this point. I get ds in there 20 min late, but at least he’s there, and it only took me an hour and 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, no! How frustrating! I hate it when I can't find a place and have to keep calling for directions. It's always worse with impatient, screaming kids in the car, too.

By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your comments.

Anonymous said...

LOL oh my have I been there DONE that! Glad all worked out though, it should be a breeze next time you need to go there....which of course may be never.

Sirdar said...

I'm a man. I don't have to ask for directions. We know where everything is...right? :-)

Glad you made it. The roads aren't great but eventually you do make it to your destination.