Friday, June 29, 2007

Pool Time

(picture from last summer)



I hope the weather smartens up soon. It doesn’t feel like summer has started because it just hasn’t been that warm.

Before I bore you to death with the talk of weather I’ll move on. It’s on my mind lately because we’re finally setting up our pool. It’s one of those large soft sided ones, and it’s a big pain in the butt to put up. We love it once it’s up, but it’s the before and after that I detest. I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be in that great of shape because we didn’t store it that well. It should be completely dry when it’s put away for the winter, but last fall I had some difficulty.

We drained the pool, which takes awhile. It is over 5000 gallons of water after all. Then I borrowed my dad’s wet/dry shop vacuum and sucked up the puddles. The next step is to use towels to finish drying the rest. Keep in mind that the sides are flopped down, so it’s quite an arduous task physically crawling around underneath the material. The first year I took the pool down this method worked like a charm. Last year, however, it decided to rain before I was finished. So, everything I had just dried was now wet. I proceeded to dry the pool again, but it rained...again! In the end, we just wrapped up the pool and put it away. The pool is fine, though. Not icky or mouldy. Whew. A relief because those pools aren’t cheap to replace.

So, now I have the pool out there waiting to be filled. It’ll be a couple of days before we can swim in it, and even then it’ll be verrrry cold. We’re actually buying a heater for it this year. It’s a wood burning type. Doesn’t that sound cool? Adrian found it online. I’ll show a picture once it arrives.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A heater sounds cool, hmmm... warm. A friend of ours made one for his homemade hot tub at their cabin. I don't think you have to worry about filling your pool, it is suppose to rain a lot this weekend. Just extend a down pipe from your house, and it will be full by Monday. I keep hearing July is suppose to be unseasonably hot for our area. Here's hoping.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that pool looks soooo huge!!

5000 Gallons of water, must take some filling. But just think of the joy of soaking up the beautiful summer sunshine in the pool (such bliss).

Just remember to invite the neighbours!!

Peter

my4kids said...

A wood burning heater sounds cool! I don't know if I even thought they could do that. I'm not sure why?
Hope the weather gets nice soon. Its raining here but it better get nice by tomorrow I have a date at the lake with some friends and our kids!

Carla said...

A pool sounds like a lot of fun, but I agree, if your weather has been like ours, I would want it to heat up a bit. A heater sounds like a great idea.

Debbie said...

Dawn - I hope it will be warm. The pool is fine on those really hot days but if it drops down to the mid to low twenties it gets pretty cold.

Peter - The water truck dumps the water in there pretty quickly.

Terri - I didn't know they could do wood burning ones, either. Go figure! Enjoy the lake.

Carla - We really enjoy the pool. Lots of fun times. And I'm looking forward to warm water, too!

Emma in Canada said...

I love those pools...wish we had the room for one. My friend was looking into a heater for hers and she was quoted $1200. Hope yours isn't that high!

Steffi said...

Wow...what a really cool and big pool!That´s a nice picture!Our weather here is crazy too.At the moment we have here temperature 14°C and rain-one week before 30°C...
Have a nice weekend!!

Debbie said...

Emma - Ummmmmmm

Steffi - I remember that you were writing about all of the hot temps you were having. You must be relieved to have it cool off a bit.

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

Don't forget to take your camera for tonight's party!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got it up and almost going. We thought of getting one but haven't done it yet. As you say, the weather has not been summer weather yet. We have the longest winter in recent memory and to top it off the summer is being shortened for us. Maybe we need to start attending church or something. Oh...Dawn and the kids already do that...so we just need more people to do that and it will get warmer...right? :-) OK...I'll stop rambling now...