Monday, June 25, 2007

A Great Weekend with One Scary Bit

We had a great and busy weekend.

Saturday morning was spent frantically cleaning my house. For some reason I let it become a complete tip, and then when I’m about to have guests I have to stress myself out by cleaning for 3 hours straight.

After the cleaning frenzy, my friend, G, and her daughter came over. Adrian was away getting his canoe certification for the Junior Forest Wardens and her husband was away on a business trip. We were able to visit on our own for hours and it was awesome! The kids played so well together, too. I pulled out the paddling pool since we don’t have our big one set up yet and they played in and around that for quite awhile. Then in the evening we sat around the fire and roasted hot dogs. Well, G and I sat around the fire while the kids ran all over the acreage. They didn’t leave until after 10:30 pm. It was a marvellous visit.

On Sunday we went with my parents (and my friend’s son) to the Telus World of Science. They had free tickets to see Dinosaurs Alive on the IMAX screen. The movie had spectacular effects. After the movie we roamed around the museum for awhile.

The kids enjoyed the weather station where they stood in front of a green screen and pretended they were forecasting the weather.
My dad got in there with Dd. It kinda looks like he's strangling her, but he's not!
Ds always like this stationary bike where you have to peddle hard in order to get the light, radio, and train to work. The boys are building a bee hive here.
The big piano is a huge hit, too.
The Body room has many fun activities including this musical fart machine.
My dad.Dd on a huge tongue.
The only hiccup was losing Dd. We were looking at some displays on the second floor, and decided to move on to somewhere else. "Let's go" I said to the kids. I actually thought she was with us. Next thing I know we can't find her anywhere. It was like in a movie. I ran around frantically trying to find her, all the while imagining the worst. It felt like forever but it was only a minute or two. The place was so busy, and I just couldn't see her anywhere I looked. I quickly walked up to one the museum attendants and told him that I couldn't find my daughter, and told him what she was wearing. Then immediately started running around again searching. He got on his radio, and said. "Okay, we have a missing girl. Her name is #$, and she's wearing a pink dress with denim carpis". I was happy someone was helping but it also made it real that my daughter was gone! "Mam", he says. "They have a girl matching that description down at the front desk." What?! How did she get down there?!! I looked down over the railing and sure enough. There she was. Relief just washed over me, but then it was quickly replaced with concern for Dd. She must be so scared. I could see her little face from where I was standing. I ran down to her, and gave her a huge hug. It was such a close call. Apparently an attendant saw her on her own and took her down to the desk. It happened that fast. This time it was a museum attendant, but it could have been a sicko taking her that fast. Scary scary scary. And it's my fault for not watching more closely. Well, I've learned my lesson.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing weekend you all had and the Science Exhibition looked really fun (including the musical .... machine, might come in handy!!

I am just so pleased your 'scary moment' turned out a happy ending!!

As you may recall my earlier posting of an incident involving myself at 3 years of age and such still a situation still 'haunts' me.

Thank you for sharing such an important lesson of life.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend...except for the scary part. You know....it doesn't matter how much you watch your kids, they always seem to slip out of sight. Try not to beat yourself up...you can't watch them 100% of the time. Just do your best. 99.9% of the time nothing evil will happen. But I do understand your fear too as it has happened to us but we tried not to panic and the child was found.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I so agree with everything that Sirdar has said.

So don't feel bad about yourself, you can be proud of being a great Mum..

Steffi said...

That was sure a really nice and funny weekend for all!I´m sure they learnt there a lot.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend. We have had the scary moments before. It is always such a relief when you are reunited. I must say, I have much empathy for those who don't locate their children. Glad you had a great weekend.

Heather K said...

Debbie.... I've been in your situation too.. It IS very scary!! We've had Walmart shut down for us before....One of our girls used to hide under the clothes racks...well a couple of times 'til we got wise to her....but like the guys say....they just slip away SO fast... and we just keep being mommies..doin our best!!

I'm so glad you found you little one!!