Saturday, June 16, 2007

Blogging Questions

Over at Joy’s blog she has a post on blog etiquette. She has a bunch of questions with her answers regarding the subject. I won’t put the questions here, because I agree with 99% of her answers anyway. Go check them out. However, while I was leaving a nice long winded comment on her blog, I thought of additional questions.

1. How important is spelling and, for that matter, grammar in both your own blog posts and while commenting on other people’s blogs?

I’ve wondered about this one because I’m not a great speller, and probably make a tonne of grammatical errors. Generally, I think, people understand. I mean most of us in the blogging world are amateurs, right?

When it comes to my own blog, I’ve gotten in the habit of writing the post (especially if it’s long) in Word. It doesn’t catch everything. Mistakes still slip through, but I feel pretty confident that there won’t be errors. And I don’t want to know if there are, okay?? Except that I used to keep spelling “maybe” as “may-be” until G called me on it one day. I really thought the word was meant to be hyphenated, and it never came up in spell-check. Huh.

On the other hand, there isn’t a spell checker when you’re commenting. I wish there was because, like I said, I have spelling issues. I always misspell definitely and unfortunately. It’s amazing how many times I use those two words, and yet I still can’t get it into my head how to spell them. So, when I have the time, I copy my comment into Word to spell check. Neurotic? MAYBE. Many times, though, I just fire a comment off and don’t read it until it’s already posted. Then I see my errors. When THAT happens, should you write ANOTHER comment apologizing for the errors on the previous comment? My non-blogging friends who read this are probably thinking that I’ve lost it at this point!

By the way, I’ve read that some people save their posts to drafts and come back and proof read them later before they’re published. I do NOT do that. I write and then I post.

2. Is it okay to comment on other people’s comments on other people’s blogs?

Sigh. Did you follow that question?? I like it when people do that in my comments section. Great conversations can ensue.

3. (I just thought of this one after reading Emma’s blog today.) Is there a polite amount of time in which you should complete a meme if you’re tagged? And, for that matter, is it rude to not complete one if you’re tagged?

In my opinion. No and No. Others may disagree.

4. When you’re a new visitor/commenter to someone’s blog should you introduce yourself? Ex: “Hi! I’m dropping by from Heather’s blog. Great picture!” Or do you just jump into commenting?

I’ve done both. Sometimes, I think it’s nice to say where you heard of their blog. That’s the fun part about the blogging world. The tangled web.


Now that I've written these questions and my answers I'm feeling they're kinda pointless. In the end, blogging is supposed to fun. Well, that’s why I do it anyway. I know that it would quickly lose its attraction if there were suddenly rules I had to follow. Or do people find comfort in rules? It could go back to school days where they posted a set of rules on the wall.

We could have a blogging version.

Our Blogging Rules

We write.

We read.

We share.

We be nice.

9 comments:

my4kids said...

I like your blogging rules! I'll answer my view on your questions.

1. I try not to worry about it to much as long as people understand what I'm trying to say. I view the blogging people that read me as friends and I talk when I write. If I worried about spelling and such it would lose some of the appeal...like writing a paper for school. Which I hated!
2. I like it also.
3. I agree no and no. I love it when people do the memes I've tagged them for but I'm not going to be upset if they don't!
4. I try to introduce myself when in a new blog and I kinda like it myself only because I wonder where people are coming from and how they found me.Although its okay if they don't.

Not pointless. They are your thoughts.

Dawn said...

I'm new to blogging. I get spell check on comments. I just wrote 'jst' and it underlines it. I hope there aren't too many rules to learn. I was at Joy's and agree a lot with her and you. For all I know, you guys are writing the rules, making them up as you go.

Molly said...

I think that your rules do the job. Be nice is a good rule anywhere. Some of my spelling errors are actually typing errors. I can spell but cannot type.

Debbie said...

Dawn - O.M.G.!!!! I did not know that I had spell check within internet explorer. It wasn't up there. I had to add it, but I do have it. Okay, Sirdar. Stop laughing. I know now, okay?? Well, ya learn somethin' knew everyday. :} Ummm. Now, of course, I no longer have an excuse.

Debbie said...

mjd - Sometimes mine are typing issues too. :) My computer is so slow some days that it actually misses letters. (I'm lovin' my new spell checker! It's the little things that thrill me.)

Oh and by the way, Dawn - LOL about us making up rules!! And. Of course, you're right. ;) Noooo. Obviously, in reality, there aren't ANY rules.

Anonymous said...

I agree a lot of what Joy wrote.

Spelling? You must still be using Internet Explorer? Every other browser out there has spell check. I think Internet Explorer 7 has it now too...but I could be wrong as I don't use it.

I generally don't don't make a habit of doing meme's.

Good post!!!

Emma in Canada said...

What's this spell check for comments? I don't have that. There are some words I look at and say did I spell that right? For the most part my spelling mistakes are actually typing mistakes. I go too fast and don't pay attention.

And as much as I love meme's, sometimes I just forget about them if I don;t get to them right away. I always feel guilty though. Same as those interview questions I still have to post AND send out.

Carla said...

I have days with my spelling too. But on my computer when I leave a comment it shows me when the word is spelled wrong (underlines it in red). I'm kind of surprised it doesn't on yours too. Good rules with common sense answers. And you are right, this is supposed to be fun.

Anonymous said...

Now I wonder - should we go and correct other people's spelling errors?